This recipe is inspired by the famous chicken recipe of Pollo Tropical Chicken On The Grill restaurant. This recipe is marinated with special seasoning, lime and orange juice. The marinade sauce is my version of the standard Cuban marinade sauce, trying to mimic the famous grilled chicken recipe.
Chicken is a staple meat in our house. It is the most common meat my husband and I often eat. As a result, I am always on the look out of for more chicken recipes for inspiration. This is when I came across this original chicken grill recipe and the picture of this recipe looked so delicious.
I got curious with the name of the recipe so I decided to look further to know what this recipe was all about. Based on my research I found the original recipe was inspired by the Caribbean cuisine where the meat is marinated with citrus juices such as pineapple and orange juices, grilled to perfection and served with two side dishes such as white rice, brown rice, yellow rice with vegetables, chicken Caesar salad, black beans and others. This is the thing that gives the dish amazing tropical flavors. Boneless chicken breast, chicken wings and drumsticks are also used for this recipe so you have an options what parts you would like to eat. I was actually surprised because the fast food restaurant offers not only delicious dishes but also dishes with good nutritious flavors. I will share with you the copycat recipes that I found on the internet:
Tropical Boneless Chicken Breast Recipe:
- 2 lb of chicken breast
- 1 tbsp of fresh garlic (smash garlic)
- 4 cups of sour or bitter orange juice
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- In a big bowl, prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients except the chicken. Then set aside
- Using a paper towel, pat dry the meat and place them in the big bowl containing the marinade sauce. Flip the chicken a couple of times or until the meat is well coated with marinade. Cover and transfer it into the fridge and let it marinade for at least 1 hour to 8 hours.
- After marinating, remove the meat using tongs. Next, shake off the marinade sauce and place them in a large shallow dish. Then set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grate with oil.
- Then place the meat on the preheated hot grill and cook the chicken breast for 8 minutes per side or until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Other Version Using Special Seasoning:
- 3 Cornish hens
- 1/4 cup sour orange juice
- 1 tbsp of pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 Packets Goya Coriander and Annato Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a big bowl, prepare the marinade by combining all of the ingredients except the meat. Then set aside
- Using a paper towel, pat dry the meat and place them in a big bowl containing the marinade sauce. Flip the chicken several times or until the meat is well coated with marinade. Cover and place the dish in the refrigerator and let it sit for at least 4 hours.
- On a pre-heated outdoor grill, place the chicken on a single layer. Make sure to cook the meat for 45 minutes or until its internal temperature reaches at 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to flip the chicken halfway through the cooking process.
How To Make Baked Chicken A La Pollo Tropical Chicken Recipe
The spices that I use for this recipe are mostly a substitute for the Goya Coriander and Annato Seasoning because I wanted to use the spices I have on hand and I think that is the essence of home cooking which is to make use of whatever you have on hand. However, if you prefer to use packets of Goya Coriander and Annato Seasoning, then use the ingredients of the recipe of the other version mentioned above using special seasoning. Do not skip the basting of the chicken skin with melted butter and turmeric before you broil them. The basting of melted butter will turn the chicken skin into a beautiful golden brown color which makes the dish look more appetizing.
- 6 pieces chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Tropic Pollo Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/3 cup sour orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of oil (olive oil)
- In a large bowl, prepare the marinade sauce by combining the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder,1/4 teaspoon turmeric, olive oil, coriander, orange juice and lime juice. Mix them all together and then set aside.
- Using a paper towel, pat dry the chicken pieces then place them in the big bowl containing the marinade sauce. Flip the meat a couple of times or until all the meat is well coated with marinade sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and put it into the fridge. Then let is sit for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- After marinating, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the thighs in a single layer on a baking dish lined with parchment paper with the skin down. Next, pour the all the marinade onto the meat.
- Bake the marinated chicken for 25 minutes or until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking inside the oven, place 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl and microwave for 40 seconds or until the butter is melted. Then add the remaining turmeric onto the melted butter. Then set aside.
- Once the meat is completely cooked, remove it from the oven and turn your oven to broil on the low setting.
- Next, flip the chicken with skin side up and brush with the melted butter with turmeric. Then broil for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the skin or the surfaces of the meat turns to a golden brown.
I hope you will give my recipe a try. This is an easy, healthy and delicious recipe that you and your whole family will love. This is another great addition to your collection of delicious recipes.