My Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots Recipe is a version of Filipino Chicken Afritada. Chicken Afritada is a Filipino chicken tomato stew with potatoes and carrots. This dish is very easy to make which is why Chicken Afritada is considered to be one of the Filipino comfort foods.
This Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots recipe is an improved version of Chicken Afritada because I added pineapple, jalapeno, bell peppers, oregano and red pepper flakes. I also decided to use whole canned tomatoes instead of tomato sauce because I wanted my sauce for this recipe on the thinner and lighter side. Aside from that, I like the freshness that the canned whole tomatoes bring to the dish. It tastes just like using fresh tomatoes.
My husband and I are always trying to eat healthy, so I always make sure that I cook recipes that are packed with tons of vitamins and minerals. This is the reason why I added pineapple, jalapeno, dried oregano and red pepper flakes aside from potatoes, carrots and bell peppers. I want my Chicken With Potatoes And Carrots Recipe to contain almost everything that you need for a good meal. It has a good amount of protein and carbohydrates, plus it is also loaded with nutrients from the remaining ingredients.
Below are some of the heath benefits that you can get from this recipe:
Canned Tomatoes – may help to lower the risk of heart disease, Macular degeneration and prostate cancer as they are a great source of the antioxidant Lycopene.
Potatoes – are full of antioxidants that help to prevent diseases and vitamins that help keeping your cholesterol and blood sugar levels in check.
Canned Pineapple – low in calories and loaded with nutrients and specifically rich in vitamin C which is essential for growth and development of a healthy immune system.
Jalapenos – full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. They can boost your metabolism and help you to reduce your appetite. Therefore they may help you to lose weight. I also use Jalapenos in my version of chicken noodle soup, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup With Jalapeno and An Asian Twist.
Bell Peppers – are rich in many vitamins and minerals that may help you to improve eye health and reduce the risk of several chronic diseases.
Dried Oregano – is known for its antibacterial benefits as it contains antioxidants and essential vitamins to help fight diseases.
Red Pepper Flakes – can help you get relief from digestive issues, inflammation and pain. They are also rich in Vitamins A, C, B6, E, iron, potassium and magnesium. If you can, sprinkle red pepper flakes to your food!
So if you are looking for an easy chicken recipe for dinner that is not only a complete dish as well as a healthy meal that you can serve with your loved ones, try my version of Filipino Chicken Afritada. Also, if you can, I recommend not to omit the fish sauce in this recipe. Why? Fish sauce makes this chicken tomato stew different from any other chicken tomato stew recipe.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback, it’s always appreciated!
- 6 pcs. chicken thighs
- 15 oz. can of whole tomatoes break it with your hands
- 1/2 cup pineapple chucks
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice juice from the can of pineapple chucks
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup potatoes diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 pc. orange bell pepper diced
- 1 pc. jalepeno seeded and diced
- 1/2 whole white onion sliced
- 3 gloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp, salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a bowl, place the chicken and season it with 1 tsp. of salt and 1/4 of tsp. pepper. Then set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, start to heat oil.
- Add onions and garlic and stir fry until softened.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning the chicken on sides once or twice until lightly browned but not cooked through.
- Stir the tomato, pineapple juice, water, fish sauce, oregano and carrot into the chicken. Season it with the remaining salt and pepper, cover and bring to boil
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes. Next, add the potatoes into the mixture and continue to cook uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender.
- Add pineapple chucks, bell peppers , red pepper flakes and jalepeno, then cook for an additional 5 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.