My Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Jalapeno and an Asian Twist is one of my step son’s absolute favorite meals. The recipe was inspired by the famous Filipino Vegetable Spring Rolls more commonly known here in the United States as Egg Rolls.
How I Came Up With This Recipe
When I was in the Philippines, I rarely ate spring roll. It’s not one of my favorite dishes. At the time, I was not a vegetable lover so I would typically not eat any meal that had vegetables in it. However, after I got married, my husband taught me to eat a lot of vegetables and since then, I have made sure that we have a vegetable side dish with every meal.
I started to cook my homemade chicken noodle soup with jalapeño 4 years ago. I was looking for a new recipe that would be good during winter season and was looking for a food that was not only healthy, but would also help to keep me warm. That’s when I came across traditional chicken noodle soup. Then, an idea struck me. I thought “why not combine traditional chicken noodle soup with my spring roll recipe and incorporate the famous jalapeño. Why did I choose to add jalapeno? At the time, jalapeño was one of my step son’s favorite foods so I added it mainly to please him.
To give you some background, my spring roll recipe became one of my signature dishes. I started cooking it because it was and is one of my husband’s favorite foods. His family also love’s my spring rolls as well. My spring roll recipe is a combination of shredded cabbage and carrots, fried tofu and seasonings. I also wanted those main ingredients to be included in the chicken noodle soup. That is how my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with jalapeño and An Asian Twist recipe was born!
A typical chicken noodle soup recipe is simply made with egg noodles and shredded chicken cooked in a chicken stock with carrots, onions and celery. At the time, I thought by incorporating all of the ingredients of my spring roll recipe it would definitely spice up the simple chicken noodle soup and take it to a new level.
The process began as I started to experiment in the kitchen. I cooked the vegetables the same way as when I am making an egg roll except I did not fry the tofu. I added the vegetable mixtures, jalapeño and tofu into the chicken soup with green onions. The result? It was surprisingly good! It became my step son’s favorite soup.
My Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Jalapeno and an Asian Twist is not only packed with deliciousness, it’s also is full of nutrients and is very high in fiber. Tofu is high in protein and contains all the essential amino acids needed by your body while jalapeño, bean sprouts, green onions, cabbage and carrots are low in calories but offer a lot of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
Here are some health benefits of vegetables in my chicken noodle soup:
Cabbage – This has a low calorie content and it’s a good source of Vitamin K and Vitamin C that are essential to boost your immune system.
Carrots – Known to be a good source of Vitamin A necessary for healthy vision.
Bean Sprouts – May help to improve your overall heart health by increasing the level of “good” cholesterol and reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol.
Green Onions– Packed with phytonutrients that defend your cells against damage. Antioxidants that come with the onions hunt down free radicals, substances that can lead to cancer, inflammation and age-related diseases.
Red Onions – These are full of sulfur compounds that protect your body from ulcers and various cancers. They also contain antioxidant compounds that may help protect against cancer, allergies and heart disease.
Jalapeños – Low in calories and full of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. Surprisingly, they also contain a lot of Vitamin C and Vitamin B6. So, do not be afraid using jalapeño because it can also help you to loss weight. Jalapeño can boost your metabolism and help you to reduce your appetite.
I hope that this will encourage to try my homemade chicken noodle soup with jalapeño, its not only delicious but very healthy as well. See my other healthy soup recipe Breakfast Soup Loaded with Vegetable.
Let me know what you think about my homemade chicken noodle soup with jalapeño and an Asian twist.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Jalapeno and an Asian Twist
- 14 oz. bag Classic Coleslaw
- 14 oz. canned Bean Sprout drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 4 gloves garlic minced
- 3 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 pcs, chicken thigh
- 6 oz. egg noodles
- 1 bunch green onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 packed Extra Firm Tofu cut into cubes
- 2 pcs. Sliced Jalapeno Remove the seed if you want
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- Fill up the sauce pan with the chicken broth and place it in the stove on a high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs, green onions, fish sauce, ground pepper and whole peppercorn into the sauce pan.
- Cover and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is cook.
- In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in hot oil until the onions are translucent. Add the bag of classic coleslaw, salt, pepper, fish sauce and stir fry until all vegetables are wilted.
- Add the bean sprouts into the mixture and stir fry for additional 5 minutes. The vegetable should be slightly crisp.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Once the chicken is cook, remove the chicken from the broth mixture. Remove the bones and chicken skins if you prefer. Slice the chicken into a big chunk with knife or shred it with a fork. Then stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Stir in the vegetable mixture into the broth, the egg noodles, vinegar and tofu into the soup and simmer for 7 to 9 minutes, until the pasta is cooked.
- Add the sliced jalapeno into the soup and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.