My One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe: Asian Rice Porridge was inspired by Arroz Caldo, a Filipino dish and by Cabbage Porridge Recipe, a Korean dish.
The Filipino Arroz Caldo is the counter part of the Chicken Noodle Soup here in the U.S. Why? Arroz Caldo is the food that a mother will cook when one of her family members is sick because it is easy to digest and a very nourishing meal. It is also a dish that a Filipino family would like to eat during rainy season to help keep them warm.
For the Cabbage Porridge Recipe, I became aware of this Korean dish when I was watching the Korean TV series Oh My Ghost. The TV series was actually focused around a restaurant, the chef, and his employees and for some reason the series gave emphasis to the very simple cabbage porridge recipe, instead of a recipe that may be considered “gourmet”.
After watching the show, I started looking for the recipe so I could know how it was made and I found out that it was somewhat similar to the Filipino Arroz Caldo recipe. Then, the idea of combining the Filipino and Korean recipe into one came to my mind and that is how my One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe was created.
My One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe: Asian Rice Porridge is very easy to make and a very healthy meal. You only need a big pot and then you put everything together into the pot. The recipe consists of chicken, rice, cabbage, carrots, fresh ginger, green onions, garlic and seasonings which makes this dish not only a one pot meal but also one healthy complete meal. Aside from the protein that you can get from the chicken and carbohydrates from the rice, the following are some the health benefits that you can get from the remaining ingredients of this recipe:
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, anti bacterial and other healthful benefits. This is the reason why Ginger is a popular home remedy for stomach pain, nausea and other health problems. If you are not used to eating ginger root, you can pick it out of the mixture after you are done cooking.
- Green onions was added because I like the flavor that green onions add to the broth which is the same reason why I use green onions in my Vegetable Beef Soup: Filipino Dish. Just like ginger, green onions have many health benefits that may help to prevent cancer.
- Cabbage is low in calories but high in minerals and vitamins such as Vitamin K and vitamin C.
- Carrots are rich in antioxidants and as well as being known to be good for your eyes.
- Garlic has a variety of health benefits and holds a variety of medicinal properties.
Because of these health benefits that you can get from my One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe: Asian Rice Porridge, it is definitely a recipe that is worth a try!
One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe: Asian Rice Porridge
- 4 pcs. chicken thighs bone in and with skin pat to dry
- 2 inch fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pcs. green onions thinly sliced
- 2 pcs. garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth less sodium
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or more to taste
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/4 head medium cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots cut into small cubes
- Combine the chicken, chicken broth and water in a large cooking pot. Add the ginger, green onions, garlic, ground pepper, salt, fish sauce and rice. Cover the pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Uncover, stir in the cabbage, carrots and sesame oil. Cover and simmer for additional 30 minutes or until the mixture becomes creamy and the rice has completely broken down and the mixture is creamy.
- Turn off the heat and serve in bowls and top with green onion and a squeeze of lime.