The “Sinigang” term means that a seafood or a meat is cook by boiling them with the use of souring agents like tamarind. Most of the “sinigang” recipes consist of meat or seafood along with water spinach, fresh tomatoes, okra and white radish.
Sinigang is one of the Filipino’s food staples because it easy to prepare and easy to cook especially if the one preparing the dish is using the ready made “sinigang mix powder”. They only need one pot for this recipe and 10 minutes of food preparation. After that, they will only spend 25 to 30 minutes to cook the entire dish, then they will have a healthy and delicious meal. Filipinos like to cook this recipe during rainy season or during cold weather. Since Filipinos like to serve this dish piping hot with freshly steamed rice, this helps them to keep warm and cozy. This is where I got the idea of cooking salmon in sour broth using lime and lemon juice since tamarind powder or the “sinigang mix powder” is not available in the local grocery stores. Aside from that, I added grated fresh ginger because it goes well with tomatoes and also added potatoes to make this recipe a complete meal as well. That’s how my Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth was created.
See also my other fish recipes inspired by other Filipino fish recipes such as Canned Mackerel Recipe In Thai Red Curry With Tomatoes and Mustard Greens, Baked Chickpeas and Mackerel Patties and Sauteed Sardines with Chickpeas an Easy Breakfast Meal.
How To Cook My Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth
- In a medium size bowl, season the chunks of salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Then set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot. Saute onions and grated ginger.
- Add broth, tomatoes, water, potatoes and seasonings. Stir to combine, cover and bring this to a boil. After this, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are nice and tender.
- Gently add the salmon into the mixture.
- Season your salmon with some kosher salt and gently add it to the simmering pot of soup. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked.
- Next, stir the handful of spinach into the mixture and continue cooking until the spinach is wilted
I hope you give my Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth a try. A recipe that is healthy, easy to prepare, easy to cook and delicious! Let me know what you think.. Enjoy Cooking!
Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth
- 1 lb salmon fillet, no skin cut into a big chucks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 whole red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 15 oz. can chicken broth
- 15 oz. can whole tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 cup water
- 6 pcs petite golden potato thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 handful spinach
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, place the chucks of salmon fillet and season 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Then set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, start to heat oil.
- Saute the onions and ginger for about 2 minutes. The add the chicken broth, crushed whole tomatoes, water and potatoes. Season the mixture with the remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bring it to boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 14 to 16 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the salmon into the mixture.
- Cover and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked. Then stir the mixture and add lime and lemon juice. Cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir a handful of spinach into the mixture and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Best served with steamed rice and enjoy your healthy salmon dish!