This recipe of chicken soup with vegetables in coconut milk is inspired with by the recipe called Kabocha Squash Red Curry from the food network show, The Kitchen. It is actually one of my favorite vegetable soup recipes and one of the soups that I serve as an appetizer during winter family gatherings. Yes, you heard me right, I like to serve a light soup as an appetizer in the cold season. Why? Because serving soup will not only help to stimulate their appetite but also keeps them warm. This Kabocha soup never fails to amaze my entire family with how delicious and luxurious this soup is. For this reason, I was inspired to recreate this recipe with chicken to make it a more filling and satisfying soup.
As my age keeps increasing every year, just a technical way of saying that I’m getting older, my cravings for light, healthy, soupy but filling meals started to increase as well. I know it is a good way to meet my daily dose of vegetables, easy to digest and it keeps me warm which I really need during cold season. Besides, I never realized until I started writing this article that because of my cravings for soup and filing meals, I have created 7 soup filing recipes (not including this Chicken soup with vegetables recipe). This is out of 23 recipes that I have published since I started this blog this year of 2021. And they are as follows:
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup With Jalapeno And An Asian Twist
Canned Mackerel Recipe In Thai Red Curry With Tomatoes and Mustard Greens
Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth
How To Make My Recipe Of Chicken Soup With Vegetables In Coconut Milk
- Cut and Peel Kaboocha Squash – With a large knife, split the squash in half. Stick the knife in the middle of the squash and work your way around the perimeter until it splits in half. Then remove the seeds and fibrous strands with a spoon. Next, cut the Kabocha into wedges with the skin on. Then lay each wedge down on its side and remove the skin.
- Next, slice the kabocha wedges into a 2 inch dice. Then set aside.
- Season the 4 chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper and then set aside.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients:
- Peel 2 medium size carrots and slice into a 2 inch dice.
- Peel and thinly slice 1/2 of the onion,
- Minced 4 cloves of garlic
- Peel and grate 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger
- 15 oz can of chicken broth
- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Thai Red curry paste
- 2 Tablespoons of oil
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium size dutch oven over medium high heat and place the chicken into the oven and sear it for a minute or until it turns light brown. After this, flip the chicken to the other side and sear for another minute. Then transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Next, add the carrots and onion and stir them until softened for about 2 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper and stir fry the mixture for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add the curry paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, stir in the chicken and cook again for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock first and then follow with the coconut milk. In this way, you will keep the coconut milk from curdling because the chicken stock will bring down the temperature of the whole mixture. Then stir in the fish sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the vinegar and spinach and serve over rice. Enjoy!
Hope you will give my Recipe Of Chicken Soup With Vegetables In Coconut Milk a try. It is not only a delicious meal but an economical and healthy food that you can serve with your loved ones.
Recipe Of Chicken Soup With Vegetables In Coconut Milk
- 4 pcs. Chicken thighs seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 whole onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp Thai Red Curry paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium size dutch oven over medium high and place the chicken and sear it for a minute or until it turns light brown. Then flip the chicken to the other side and sear for another minute. Transfer the chicken to a plate and then set aside.
- Next, add the onion, carrots and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir fry for about a minute or two. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the curry paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cook again for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock first and then follow with the coconut milk. Then stir in the fish sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 35 minutes or until the chicken cooks through. Stir in the vinegar and spinach. Add more salt and pepper if needed, then serve over rice.