This roasted potatoes and broccoli recipe which is marinated in Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar is easy, delicious and a healthy side dish. This tasty vegetable recipe is enhanced with Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and ranch seasonings which gives a tangy and good flavor. This is a great side dish recipe because it pairs well with any delicious main dish that you make.
The Benefits Of Roasting Vegetables
There is something comforting about eating vegetables on a hearty weeknight dinner, probably because you know that you and your loved ones are eating something healthy. Any form of roasted vegetables like roasted broccoli, roasted potatoes and so on, possess the ability to persuade even the pickiest eater to eat their vegetables. Plus, the best part is roasting vegetables preserves more nutrients than boiling which makes them a good source of antioxidants, vitamin B and C and different forms of vitamins and minerals that you and your loved ones need. Aside from being a simple recipe and a one pan side dish, roasted vegetables are a filling dish that can surely feed a crowd.
Eating a good amount of nutritional foods is the key to having good eating habits. It’s similar to a salad in that manner; there’s no use in ordering a nutritious salad just to drown it in high fat content dressings that nullify the meal’s benefits. So, don’t use too much oil or sugar to totally cover your vegetables.
Great Vegetables To Roast
Almost any vegetable can be roasted as long as you get the cooking times and amount of heat right. However, there are certain vegetables that work better in the oven than others. Any root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips and turnips are often the easiest and most family-friendly vegetables to roast. These root veggies perform well in an oven and may be easily seasoned to make delicious veggies. They are also readily available all year and can be found at local food stores.
There are also other vegetables like broccoli, butternut squash, Brussel sprouts, peppers and cauliflower that are gaining popularity and becomes favorite of many in this category when searching for roasted vegetable recipes online.
Best Way To Season Your Roasted Veggies
Balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and honey are the 4 primary seasonings to turn any veggies into a delicious food. You can mix and match any of these according to your preferences.
- Salt – a sprinkle of salt enhances the flavor of any dish. It balances the sweetness and helps to conceal other flavors, such as bitterness.
- Pepper – provides depth to the flavor and some spice.
- Balsamic Vinegar – providing a good amount of acidity to any vegetables.
- Honey – helps to bring out the sweetness of rooted vegetables.
Simple seasonings like shallots, garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, ranch or Italian seasonings may make a huge difference. Adding Dijon mustard and ranch spices to roasted veggies, for example, gives them a robust flavor.
How To Make Roasted Potatoes And Broccoli Recipe: Marinated In Dijon Mustard And Balsamic Vinegar
In this recipe, you can substitute petite golden potatoes to red potatoes, baby potatoes or any small potatoes that you have on hand, just make sure that you cut the potatoes into small chunks. In this way, the potatoes and broccoli will be cooked at the same time.
Mustard Mixture Marinade
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 2 tsp ranch seasoning
- pinch of black pepper or to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 heads of broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 petite golden potatoes or baby potatoes, cut into small bite sized pieces
- pinch of salt or to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and the rest of the mustard mixture. Then set aside.
- Grab the 2 broccoli crowns and cut the broccoli into small florets by cutting into 1 inch pieces. Then transfer the broccoli florets into a large bowl or large Ziplock bag if you prefer and set aside.
- Next, chop the potatoes into small pieces and place them in the same bowl containing the broccoli florets.
- Pour the mustard mixture marinade into the bowl or bag. Use tongs, mix all the ingredients gently. Cover and transfer into the fridge and let ii marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating, it’s time to preheat the oven, Preheat to 400 degrees F. Next, prepare a large baking sheet and make sure that it is lined with parchment paper or with aluminum foil. If you use aluminum foil, grease the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the potatoes and broccoli including the marinade into the prepared baking sheet, season with salt. Spread them on a baking sheet into even layers and with a few gaps in between.
- Place the baking dish in the middle of the oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the broccoli starts to brown and the potatoes are soft enough or cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve them as a simple side dish for your family’s hearty weeknight meal.
This is an easy one sheet pan recipe dish for a hearty weeknight dinner which will surely impress your loved ones. Below are other recipes that you can try: