This Salmon Stew with Potatoes and Carrots Recipe is an easy, affordable and a healthy delicious meal that you can cook for you and your loved ones. In today’s present time, where everything is getting more expensive everyday, having an economical, healthy and delicious meal is the way to go. Recipes that require a good amount of vegetables such as potatoes and carrots with the use of a few seasonings most likely fall under budget friendly meals, especially if it’s cooked in liquid or sauce. For example, 1 pound of friend salmon fillet can feed 2 persons but if you cook 1 pound of salmon in liquid with potatoes and carrots, most likely it can feed 3 to 4 persons. So when you want to cook for a crowd without hurting your wallet, try recipes that are cooked in liquid or sauce and with vegetables.
My salmon stew with potatoes and carrots recipe is an example of an inexpensive and easy to make meal. It is a recipe that will give you and your family a satisfying meal without feeling guilty because they will know that they ate not a only a delicious meal but also a healthy one.
How To Make Salmon Stew with Potatoes and Carrots
- Depending on your preferences, in this recipe you can use 2 lbs of salmon fillet with the skin on or skinless. However, if you will cook this recipe for a family gathering, use skinless salmon to appeal to the majority. Some people do not like or are not a fan of eating salmon skin.
- Next, cut the fillets into a big bite sized 3 inch pieces. Place in a big bowl and well seasoned with salt and pepper. Then set aside. I like to season the meat and let it rest for a few minutes while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Wash the potatoes and carrots. Peel and slice the carrots into big chucks while for the potatoes cut them into quarters without peeling. Transfer these into a plate and set aside. Then prepare the onion and garlic by dicing half of the whole white onion and mincing the garlic. Then set aside.
- In a medium sized dutch oven, heat the oil on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot enough, place the onion into a dutch oven and stir fry until the onion becomes translucent. Then add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the potatoes and carrots into the mixture and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Next add the dill and cook for an additional minute. Then add the tomatoes, water, 1/8 tsp of saffron threads and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Let it simmer until the potatoes and carrots are softened for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked, adjust the seasoning if needed. Then add the seasoned salmon fillets and partially submerge them in the sauce leaving space between the pieces. Pour a small amount of sauce over each fillet, then cover the dutch oven and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through.
- You can eat the salmon stew with rice or noodles but if you like to make it a low carb meal, serve the salmon stew without anything as the potatoes will give you good carbohydrates that you need while the carrots are a relatively good source of fiber.
I hope you will give my salmon stew recipe a try. It is a recipe that will warm your soul and it’s packed with flavors and super easy to make. Try also my other easy salmon recipes, Baked Salmon Recipe With Tomatoes And Olives, Easy Salmon Recipe: Steamed Salmon In Savory Sauce and Recipe For Salmon Soup With Vegetables: Fish Soup in Sour Broth.
Salmon Stew with Potatoes and Carrots Recipe
- 2 lb. salmon fillet skinless cut into bite size or 3 inch a piece
- 1/2 whole white onion peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/8 tsp saffron strips
- 3 tbsp fresh dill roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb petite golden potatoes quartered
- 3 pcs carrots peeled and sliced into a big chunks
- 15 oz can whole tomatoes crashed by hand
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the salmon fillets into a big bite sized 3 inch pieces. Place in a big bowl and well seasoned with salt and pepper. Then set aside.
- In a medium dutch oven, heat the oil on medium high heat. Place the onion in the dutch oven and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cool for 1 minute.
- Stir in the carrots and potatoes in a dutch oven, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Then add 2 tbsp of fresh dill and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water and saffron threads, season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat to medium, simmer until the potatoes and carrots are softened for about 25 to 30 minutes or cooked through.
- Uncover, stir the mixture and adjust the seasoning if needed and stir in the remaining fresh dill. Next, add the seasoned salmon fillets and partially submerge in the sauce leaving space between the pieces. Pour a small amount of sauce over each fillet.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked.
- Serve with rice or noodles or just eat as is to make it a lower carbs meal. Enjoy!